Friday, October 21

REVIEW: The Sound of Music Manila

"This better be worth it!", I told myself as I travel my way to the Newport Performing Arts Theater in Resorts World Manila last Saturday, Oct 15. I've been a theater enthusiast for years now, and I'll really spend some time and money just to see a certain show. Aside from the entertainment that I'm getting from these shows, I get a chance to meet a lot of people, fellow theater geeks and the people behind the production. Plus, if you're an artist or trying to break into the industry, such as myself, you'll really learn a lot from these thespians. I hunger for knowledge.

It's the opening night for Sound of Music Manila. Honestly, I've never been a fan of this musical. I don't like 'musicals for kids'. It's not that I hate them. It's just that I don't see myself enjoying such a show.


But you know what, I actually did enjoy Sound of Music!


It was my first time to be at the huge world-class Newport Performing Arts Theater. I was just in time as the curtains rose up, a few seconds before the show starts. And my mind was blown literally.


The lights, the moving set and the giant LED screen. A total eye-candy!


Joanna Ampil is just breathtaking as Maria! Her voice and own rendition to the famous songs of this musical reminds me of Julie Andrews. When you get to watch the show, try closing your eyes and listen to find out what I'm talking about.

The King of Philippine Theater Audie Gemora reprises his role as Captain Georg Von Trapp. It seems like this man found the fountain of youth for his look and talent never grew old.

The kids are just too adorable to watch. I can't help but to sing along as they 'Do-Re-Mi'd with Maria, especially Alexa Villaroel (Gretl Von Trapp). This pig-tailed child wonder can go places! Her charm is the icing on top of everything.

The set is the majestic thing I've ever seen! Combined with the mesmerizing LED screen, it's like being on Austria while watching the Von Trapps sing all day and all night. Yes, Sound of Music Manila is just like watching a Broadway show!

One thing concerns me though. Because of the moving set and stage props, the props men is taking much time in taking them in and out of the stage. Instead of looking forward to what the next scene will look like, the audience anticipates much longer than expected. Thus, bored them for some time and bringing the momentum down. (The mini light show didn't help that much.) I really hope they will have that fixed. And if they do, this'll be the perfect staging the Philippines has ever done.


~
Rodgers and Hammerstein's beloved musical, “The Sound of Music,” makes its much-anticipated return to Philippine theater at Resorts World Manila’s world-class stage--The Newport Performing Arts Theater. 

Directing this new production is Roxanne Lapus. Leading the star-studded cast are theater superstars Joanna Ampil and Cris Villonco as Maria. Audie Gemora takes on the role of Austrian Navy Captain Georg von Trapp, with Ed Feist and Jon Joven as alternates. 


Adding glitz to the line-up are Pinky Marquez and Shiela Franciso as the Mother Abbess, Pinky Amador and Lynn Sherman as the Baroness Elsa Schraeder, and Marvin Ong as Rolf. Other cast members include Robbie Guevara, Miguel Faustmann and Tanya Manalang. 

Live orchestration will be provided by the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra, to be conducted by musical director Rodel Colmenar. 

For tickets, call Resorts World Manila 8363333 or 9088833; TicketWorld at 811-9999 for more information.



5 comments:

  1. Agree with most of your comments. While the digital backdrop was a great idea, the video walls on the side is a big down for me. It played commercials and rehearsal shots before the start of the play, ruining theatre magic. During the play, it projected closeups of the performers, making it look like a concert than a play.

    If you would buy tickets, dont buy the ones at the front left and front right, unless you want to be blinded by these giant screens.

    It was a very good play, but it would be a lot better if they simply removed those video walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thing I've seen the play a month after the opening.. it was way better now than how it was described here..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would disagree, my family and i's experience was not as pleasant as you guys would say. the play was in a nutshell, awkward.

    Maria and the Captain were amazing don't get me wrong, but the cast and the production were contrived. I think they could've done better casting the children both in looks and in talent. What was up with the eldest boy? He can't sing and looks way to gay for the role. For the sake of consistency, they should've casted kids that look like one another.

    The wigs and the need to have an english accent felt really awkward. Would've been better if they had an all filipino cast that played the roles as themselves without the accents and without the stupid wigs. Giving it a filipino twist would have made this play much more interesting and appealing.

    The orchestra, as they show you on the monitor the orchestra playing during set breaks, you'd think they'd have at least an actual piano and complete percussions but apparently they used the organ piano that you see being used in shows like ASAP or any cheap live karaoke bar. Tsk tsk. No wonder the music sounded as if Willie Revillame would be coming out.

    Overall, awkward and painful experience. I was seated at the front row and had to force myself to watch thru the monitor instead just so I can say I 'watched' it. I felt relieved when the show ended but as soon as we had to applaud them, i felt that the curtain wasn't going down faster than i had hoped.

    For anyone thinking about watching this, I suggest you retain the all the magic and goodness by watching the DVD version of the original movie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comment above. I watched last night and felt completely underwhelmed by the whole play. I have high hopes for Joanna Ampil but I felt a bit short-changed by her performance. She was not able to command the stage. I felt the acting was dry and was not endeared to her. I enjoyed Debraliz' and Pinky Amador's performances more. Man, they were brilliant.

    I was not impressed by the choruses as well. I would've hoped they casted better child actors with better singing voices, or at least practiced them much more because their numbers are awkward and flat. I've watched the kids from Lion King who happened to be Pinoys as well and the disparity of their performance from the kids in SoM is pretty big. And the accents as well. They're austrians, right? I dont understand the unconvincing british accents.

    The highlight of the show, for me, would be the spectacular stage production. It's just unbelievable. Too bad the whole performance' a far cry from the backdrop. I was just totally frustrated that a potentially smashing play would just underwhelm me and my friends completely. I was even sad that the intermission would end because I'll start cringing again with the contrived performances... and lastly, did I say I was totally frustrated with Joanna Ampil's performance? Oh yea I think I did...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your comments. Let's just hope the people behind Sound of Music and Resorts World Manila would take the audience's comments into consideration. After all, they still have a lot of shows to do before closing.

    ReplyDelete